Callands Courthouse and Gaol

Callands Courthouse and Gaol

About

After Pittsylvania County was cut off from Halifax in 1767, and before Henry County was cut off from Pittsylvania in 1777, present-day Callands was the location for Pittsylvania's first county seat. Evidence of the Revolutionary-era village has largely disappeared except for the old courthouse and clerk's office. (See also Whispers of the 1700's in Central Pittsylvania County.) The two brick buildings are owned by Pittsylvania County. Both public and private funds have been used in the restoration of the two structures, the smaller building under the auspices of the Chatham Garden Club and the larger by the Pittsylvania Historical Society. The property surrounding the two buildings is utilized for the Callands Festival, held the first weekend of every October under the sponsorship of the Callands Volunteer Fire Department and the Pittsylvania Historical Society.

Details

Pittsylvania County
Historic Site
Virginia Highway Marker Q-12a
Callands, VA 24530

 

In the Area

Yates Tavern
US-29 BUS
Gretna
Windsor

Cascade